LinkedIn Now Ranks College Graduate’s Career Success
Career Path : Education News
LinkedIn now shows you which schools have the highest success in eight different career categories (those considered the most “in demand” at the moment). Success is tracked by student’s degrees matching up with the most desirable job for that degree. Below we’ll list the eight most in-demand careers tracked by LinkedIn, and the school with the most graduates working in that career.
- Accounting Professionals (Villanova University, Pennsylvania)
- Designers (Carnegie Mellon University, California)
- Finance Professionals (University of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania)
- Investment Bankers (Georgetown University, Washington D.C.)
- Marketers (University of Pennsylvania)
- Media Professionals (New York University, New York City)
- Software Developers (Carnegie Mellon University)
- Software Developers at Startups (Stanford University, California)
Carnegie Mellon University and Stanford University may have a one-up on other universities in terms of location, since California is the home of Silicon Valley, an area which has turned into the home of startup companies (including LinkedIn). Carnegie Mellon is in fact located in Silicon Valley, where employment for software developers is at an all-time high.
LinkedIn has mentioned they would like to expand the rankings to include a broader spectrum of career paths. This could better help students make choices about which schools they go to, and in what areas of the country. Meanwhile, LinkedIn already has several other tools for students aside from university rankings. The website offers a comprehensive University Finder, which lets you search for schools depending on what you want to study, where you want to work and where you want to live. The site’s Field of Study Explorer lets you find what careers are most popular in the field that you are studying. Best of all is that these services are free to anyone with a LinkedIn account.