Greatest Graduation Speeches from Famous Celebrities
Career Path : Education News
Many students are graduating from college or university this summer, or have already graduated earlier this June. Graduation is a huge step in life, and many universities invite well-known and successful public figures to commencement ceremonies to give words of wisdom to graduates soon to be entering the professional sphere.
Schools like Harvard and Stanford are known for having high-profile speakers at their commencement. In 2015, celebrities like actor Matthew McConaughey, Denzel Washington, Bill Nye (well known as “The Science Guy”) all made appearances at university commencement ceremonies, to give advice to the future leaders of tomorrow. Below, we’ll list the top five commencement speech quotes from celebrities both in the past and this year, starting with number five.
5. Journalist Katie Couric to the University of Wisconsin 2015 graduating class: “There may be days when you’ll say to yourself, ‘I can’t. I literally can’t even.’ But you can! You can even!”
4. Denzel Washington, to the 2015 graduating class of Dillon University: “I don’t care how much money you make, you can’t take it with you. It’s not how much you have, it’s what you do with it.”
3. Stephen Colbert at Northwestern’s 2011 commencement: “Thankfully, dreams can change. If we’d all stuck with our first dream, the world would be overrun with cowboys and princesses. So whatever your dream is right now, if you don’t achieve it, you haven’t failed and you’re not some loser—but just as importantly—if you do get your dream, you’re not a winner.”
2. Steve Jobs, at Stanford’s 2005 commencement: “Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle.”
1. Bill Nye, to the Rutgers University 2015 graduating class: “Just think what else is out there, what other physical or biological phenomenon is just waiting to be discovered, or invented, or thought of. You all can do this. You all can be the Next Great Generation. You can, dare I say it, Change the World.”
What’s your favourite celebrity commencement speech? Let us know!