What Is Medical Office Assistant Training?
Career Path : Healthcare
Are you your family’s head organizer? Are you scrupulous and detail oriented? A medical office assistant career may be what you’re looking for!
The job market for this field is excellent, with many predicting it to be among the fastest growing occupations over the next six years. Careers in this administrative area can encompass a wide-range of work environments and job titles, however, roughly 62 percent of MAs work in the offices of physicians.
Medical office assistant programs are generally designed to prepare students for these tremendous career opportunities, by training them with a variety of software packages, office situations and theoretical concepts.
Medical office assistant training has been developed to provide students with the skills to manage office procedures and effectively operate a medical office environment. Office assistant programs cover a wide variety of theoretical concepts, which let students acquire the knowledge needed to facilitate efficient and effective office operations. However, through practical “hands-on” computer training, students are also empowered to expedite the demands of the administrative positions through the most recent software application, including Able Med, Visual Practice and software programs made specifically for this line of work.
Comprehensive programs prepare students for a wide range of professional administrative careers in medical office settings. The modules of study in these programs include:
- Â Â Â Health Administrative Team Roles and Responsibilities
- Â Â Â Study of Basic Human Anatomy and Medical Terminology
- Â Â Â Pharmacology
- Â Â Â Computer Health Applications: “York Med”, “Able Med”
- Â Â Â Systems and Data Management
- Â Â Â Word Processing
- Â Â Â Advanced Documentation
- Â Â Â Medical Insurance
- Â Â Â Appointment Book Management
- Â Â Â Medical Procedures/Doctors and The Law/Clinical Procedures
- Â Â Â Patient Service and Interpersonal Skills
- Â Â Â CPR / First Aid (included)
Medical office assistant careers can involve numerous positions with the medical field, encompassing all levels of medicine, including clinical and administrative positions. Career opportunities in this field can include:
- Â Â Â Medical assistant
- Â Â Â Optometric assistant
- Â Â Â Administrative medical assistant
- Â Â Â Clinical medical assistant
- Â Â Â Podiatric medical assistant
- Â Â Â Office manager
- Â Â Â And more
The responsibilities of medical office assistants are varied and may involve many different aspects of clinical and administrative work. Job duties in this field can include:
- Â Â Â Updating and filing patients’ records
- Â Â Â Submitting insurance forms
- Â Â Â Arranging for hospital admissions and laboratory services
- Â Â Â Scheduling appointments
- Â Â Â Handling correspondence, billing and bookkeeping
- Â Â Â Arranging examining room instruments and equipment
- Â Â Â Purchasing and maintaining supplies and equipment
- Â Â Â And more
As you can see, medical office assistant training can open numerous doors for you. Find a program today and get started on a fulfilling, life-long career.
Contact NAHB for more information on medical office assistant training.