Healthcare Careers For Students With Good Marks In Chemistry
Career Path : Healthcare
High marks in chemistry will go a long way toward allowing students an opportunity in any type of healthcare career training, from nursing unit clerk training to studies to become a physician. Though chemistry plays a part in nearly any healthcare position, one career that fits especially well with students who are strong in chemistry is a career as a pharmacy technician. With an aging population and rising need for medication, the demand for pharmacy technicians is expected to increase over the next decade. Here is some information on pharmacy technician training, certification and what to expect on the job.
What is training like?
- Pharmacy technician training encompasses a large variety of subjects related to healthcare, chemistry, and administration. Some common classes in training address pharmaceutical calculations, pharmacology, medical terminology, nutrition, anatomy and physiology, and digestive, respiratory and reproductive systems. Training provides both hands-on and classroom elements.
- In training, you will learn all of the relevant information on prescriptions, along with dispensing and documenting medications. You will also learn about obtaining and controlling inventory.
- The chemistry knowledge comes into play when you begin to learn about pharmaceutical calculations like regulating doses for children or adults, compounding doses, and working with IV medication. In addition, you will learn about aseptic technique, along with compounding medications and even microbiology.
- Along with the technical training, you will be taught practical information about what it takes to work in a pharmaceutical setting.
How do you obtain certification?
- To obtain pharmacy tech certification in Canada, you will need to go through the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada. You can obtain certification in a number of ways, including completing an accredited program or passing one of numerous exams.
What is the job like?
- Pharmacy techs work in a fast-paced, stimulating environment that always presents new and exciting challenges. There are many benefits to working in the field, as you will be able to help people, earn a comfortable living, and use your depth of knowledge in a rewarding, fulfilling manner. You will be able to do a variety of tasks, from documenting prescriptions to mixing medications and dispensing them to customers. This variety keeps the job interesting and prevents boredom.
What is the employment outlook?
- As was previously mentioned, the outlook for pharmacy tech jobs looks strong, and will only grow in the future as the population ages. People who complete pharmacy technician training can expect to make a comfortable living wage, with room for advancement in the field.
Whether you choose pharmacy technician training, nursing unit clerk training, or any other healthcare career, a strong background in math and chemistry is sure to help you on your path. The future is bright with high marks in chemistry.
Visit Thompson Career College for more information on healthcare careers for the chemistry student.