6 Tips For Getting Promoted in Your Office Job
Career Path : Career Tips
It’s easy to become hid in the shadows of your office job. There are six simple steps to help you shine and get promoted in your office job.
- Get to know who you work with– You may not think that a relationship with your coworkers is necessary, but it is. In an office setting, everyone usually has to work together in some way to carry out the objective of the company. When you know your team, you will be in a better position to maximize how you contribute to it.
- Network– Sometimes knowing the right people can take you very far. Don’t be afraid to introduce yourself to the higher ups; tactfully. If you don’t have access to them directly, befriend their assistants so you can stay in the know of opening positions you could be promoted to. You can also network with others inside of your industry, but who don’t work in your office. Being the one in the know within your business circles will make you a hot commodity.
- Be polite– All too often people forget their manners. When a person is always polite, they become pleasantly memorable and in order to get respect, it’s always best to give it. Keep a smile on your face and be ready to work at all times. Learn how to leave your feelings at the door when coming to work. Keep in mind that your office job is your place of employment, not an emotional dumping ground.
- Reinvent yourself– Invest some time and effort in yourself if you want others to. To get noticed in your administrative position, you first need to look the part. Put a little extra time and effort in your grooming regime. The better your feel the better you will perform. Upgrade your education with a little business or accounting training. The more you know the more you can benefit the company your work for.
- Be organized– A messy desk is a recipe for disaster when it comes to being considered for the next promotion. Keeping your desk neat and organized shows that you care about what you do. Having all the essential tools you need to work efficiently at your disposal at all times will keep you poised and up for the next challenge. Even though you may not think your boss will be looking at your desk, chances are that they will.
- Learn more about the company– Show your bosses that you are there for more than just a paycheck and that you’ve been putting your business training to good use. Get to know the company that you work for so that you will have a better understanding of how you can contribute to the company. Surprise your bosses with your detailed knowledge during a meeting or over lunch. It is always nice to know that there are employees who take their job seriously and will most likely be considered when it’s time to promote from within.
Visit Academy of Learning College, for other career boosters like IT training.